1950 - 1959
AUFC 1950-1959 - A DOMINANT ERA
Although the post-War years had been reasonably successful, there had not been an Al Premiership. In fact the last time 'the Blacks' had won the Flag was back in 1932. This situation soon changed and the 'fifties saw the Club return to a position of power in Amateur League.
E.G. Tilley replaced H.~ Page as coach in 1950 and con-tinued on the improvement shown by the Club in the years following the Second World War. During his six years at the Club the Al side played in six Grand Finals, winning four Flags. These were the results that the Club had attained in the 1920's and early 1930's.
L.G. (Jack) Giles took over the coaching duties from E.G. Tilley in 1957 and was in charge until the end of the 1959 season. The Club enjoyed reasonably successful seasons under him but did not take off a Premiership.
There were many very good players of this era and the representatives the Club had in All-Australian Amateur teams fit into this category. J.K.A. McLeod (1950 and captain in 1954), D.M. Brebner (1950), J.F. Walsh (1954) and B.M. Seppelt (1958) were all magnificent players for the Club. The number of State players the Club provided during this time was also very high (seven on average) and E.G. Tilley coached the State Amateurs from 195 1-1956, after taking over the job from H. Page.
The Club had expanded and at stages fielded five teams although at this time the Amateur League only had five grades. Teams were fielded in the Students' Association and the Sturt District Association and both these sides met with success. The feats of J.C. Liii in this latter Association are worth noting. After winning the Club's Best and Fairest in the fifth side in 1955, he won both the Club's Award and the Association Medal in 1956 when this team was the fourth fielded by University. The following two seasons, 1957 and 1958, he won the Gunning Medal for the Al side.
On the administrative side, Dr. C.B. Sangster served as President from 1949-1953 and was succeeded by Dr. R.T. Steele, former captain of the Club. He served until 1959 in this capacity. Constitutional changes saw the new category of Honorary Life Membership introduced in 1952 and two worthy recipients, Dr. N.S. Gunning and Dr. C.B. Sangster, were the first to be accorded this honour. Further men who received this honour in the 'fifties were H. Page and H. ('Longun') Wilson (1953), H.V. Millard (1954), and J.K.A. McLeod (1957). All these men were very worthy recipients of this honour.
It was a sad moment for the Club when 'Longun' Wilson died in 1956. He had been a significant part of 'the Blacks' since 1928 and his presence as a trainer was missed.
This was a very successful era for 'the Blacks' with the Al’s dominating the top grade and the lower sides increasing in strength as the decade progressed.